When cancer patients are undergoing treatments like Chemotherapy and Radiation they notice a change in their skin. It will often feel drier and may even become flaky. They may also experience some redness and an increase in pigmentation. It is important to take care when cleansing and exfoliating and it is vital that they use products which will not cause additional irritation and discomfort.
The RenewYOU Top 5 tips to always remember . . .
1. Head to Toe Hydration! Moisture is the key so, as soon as you have bathed or showered each morning you should moisturise from top to toe, literally, and drink as much water as you can!
If after your treatment the thought of drinking plain water is the last thing you want to face then try drinking warm water with cucumber or peppermint to keep hydrated.
2. Daily ‘C-T-M’ – Cleanse / Tone / Moisturise It is important to make sure you look after your skin when you are undergoing these treatments so, if you haven’t already, you should set up a daily regime to ‘follow the basics’ – cleanse, tone and moisturise has never been so important and by carefully using products that are specially formulated for people undergoing cancer treatments you will be sure of great results and no extra irritation.
3. Gentle Exfoliation Contrary to popular belief, exfoliation is not a strict ‘No, No!’ if you are careful. Your skin will already be sensitive and irritated so pick an exfoliator which is especially made for cancer patients. Gently exfoliate once a week but only if your skin can handle it and you feel comfortable afterwards.
4. Moisturise Don’t shy away from moisturiser – use it as often as you feel you need it. Keep one on hand in your handbag and make sure it is a nice, rich one, preferably formulated for cancer patients. Always opt for a squeeze or pump pack so you do not contaminate the product when using it. Avoid pots you need to put your fingers into, potentially spreading germs from your hands. During these treatments you can be very sensitive to infection.
5. Always Wear Sunscreen – everyday! These treatments can exacerbate pigmentation – making your skin even more sun sensitive!
Try to avoid the sun where possible and make sure you use sunscreen every day, and do not forget the back of the neck and ears and, if you have lost your hair, apply it to your scalp as well! Remember to that you should not use a sunscreen above SPF30 (SPF15 should be fine). The higher the SPF the more likely the product will contain ingredients that could cause further irritation or even worse! These ingredients include oxybenzone, triclosan, parabens and phthalates.
Take care of your skin and it will take care of you and you will start to feel much better. A healthy skin provides the perfect canvas for your make-up which will then ensure you not only look great but feel beautiful too.